Scottish freedom

 What is freedom? Music? Food? Travelling? Job? Hedonism? Money? Support? Frindship?

This is not a post about the architecture or atmosphere of a particular place in Glasgow. It is about freedom in the Scots' hearts.


During my first visit to Glasgow, to be particular, right on my first day there, I bumped into something I've never seen in the country I live in. I went to Pizza Hut (no-no, we have Pizza Hut, it's not about it) on Argyle Street (they said I could find there my favourite Super Supreme). ABBA was singing their "Dancing Queen" on the radio, the atmosphere was quite calm for the not busy morning. A family comes in: mother, father and two kids about 9 and 12 years old. The dad takes the salads, mom takes care of the drinks. And the kids start singing at the table. The same ABBA's song, just in unison with the record. Their parents join them, putting everything on the table. They're smiling, they're having the time of their lives.
And that was amazing. I've never saw and felt anything like it. More than anything in the world at the moment I wanted to join them. The next song played, the waitress came over to them, they were still singing, and she was smiling, and this place just lit up with this spirit of... love, union, fun.

When I went out, I immediately heard a man whistling. I turned around a saw just a perfectly sober man, hurrying somewhere and whistling a nice melody, rolling his lips.


Why a picture of organ in Kelvingrove Gallery? Because here is the same space - the island of Freedom, where people can listen to the musician playing not only to the classics but to the groovy jazz or funny children's motives.
And kids in Scotland are just fantastic. They feel free to be kids. They dance, they laugh, they show off. And they are just adorable. I've never seen children so free and happy as the ones in Glasgow.


I hope their parent will forgive me for taking pictures, but I really wanted to save these fond memories. These kids were so adorable that I just couldn't keep my camera off.




Of course, I have so much to say about kids in Glasgow from my observations that it requires a separate topic. But let's just enjoy these little two while the organ is playing for them.


My dearest, my loveliest Scots, please, save and cherish what you have inside you. What I saw in Scotland were the most precious things. And all of them are in your hearts and souls. You make Glasgow, you make Scotland. Your attitude to your kids, history, friendship, help, strangers, education, music, parks, nature. You're one of the most wonderful people in the world. Please stay that way.

Comments

Popular Posts